Movies

Because of course he has thoughts: Oscar Isaac on Charles Melton’s X-Men role amid rumors

Because of course he has thoughts: Oscar Isaac on Charles Melton’s X-Men role amid rumors
Image credit: Google Veo 3

Oscar Isaac has kicked the Charles Melton buzz around Marvel’s X-Men reboot into overdrive, talking up his Beef co-star in a way that stops shy of confirmation.

If you spend any time online, you might have spotted a sudden spike in chatter about Charles Melton—specifically, whether he’s about to step into the Marvel universe as Beast for the studio’s upcoming X-Men reboot. Now, thanks to some suspiciously enthusiastic comments from Oscar Isaac, the rumour mill’s positively churning.

A Not-So-Subtle Nod

So, here’s where things took off again: Oscar Isaac, currently doing interviews off the back of a well-received run in Beef’s second season, was cornered by Extra TV about the Melton/X-Men rumours. Rather than the usual vague brush-off, Isaac gave his old Beef mate a glowing pitch fit for a press packet. He said he already sees Melton as 'kind of a mutant superhero' and reckons a Marvel move 'feels like it’s a perfect thing for him.'

Oscar Isaac, talking to Extra TV about the Marvel speculation, said: "I already see him as kind of a mutant superhero... it’s a perfect thing for him."

No outright confirmation, but not exactly subtle, is it? Frankly, that’s a stronger public endorsement than you usually hear from Marvel alums when tipsy casting talk is involved.

Melton’s Turn at the Rumour Game

Charles Melton’s own response was extremely on-brand for anyone caught in the NDA crosshairs: heaps of praise for everyone except himself. When Extra TV asked directly about the Marvel/X-Men links, Melton dodged the specifics and instead talked up writer Lee Sung Jin (who churned out Beef for Netflix) and director Jake Schreier, both now officially attached to the new X-Men film. Melton described working with Sung Jin as 'incredible', and added he’d jump at the chance to do it 'many, many, many, many more times.'

Notably, Melton hasn’t confirmed anything about actually playing Beast. But he’s clearly not running from the speculation either, which only stirs the pot further.

The X-Men Line-Up So Far

What makes the whole thing particularly fun for those of us hunting morsels in the pre-release wasteland? Marvel Studios have already gone public about a bunch of core castings for this May 5, 2028 film, but—crucially—there’s still no Beast, Magneto, or Mystique on the roster, at least officially. Here’s who we do know:

  • Sadie Sink as Jean Grey
  • Kit Connor as Cyclops
  • Samara Weaving as Emma Frost
  • Christopher Abbott as Professor X
  • Inde Navarrette as Rogue
  • Maya Boyd as Storm
  • Adam Driver locked for Mister Sinister
The new Marvel X-Men film is scheduled for May 5, 2028, and Beast remains uncast.

That leaves some pretty massive mutant shoes yet to fill, and with Melton’s name already in a swirl of leaks for Beast, it’s no shock that Isaac’s comments are making headlines all over again. For now, still nothing concrete from Marvel Studios on Melton—or anyone else—snagging those particular muttonchops. But if you’re following the breadcrumbs, Oscar Isaac just dropped an entire loaf.

CineCorner UK use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept. For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie Policy